For Students: Your new best friend GET
is such an important word in English because of its many different meanings. It's like James McAvoy's characters in the film Split. It is deranged and has many different personalities that you just don't know which one you will hear next..... But, on a serious note, feeling comfortable using this word in the many different situations when it can be used will not only help you sound more natural, but it will help in understanding. It must be really strange to hear someone say this for example ' I need to get a taxi to get my son from school and then get to the shop before it closes at 5pm '
This word GET simply replaces other words, so you usually get the meaning from context if you're unsure, but sometimes you are presented with one of GET's crazy personalities and we are caught off-guard . Let's have a look at 12 different bizarre personalities of GET.
1. BUY – this one likes to buy expensive things like cars, and designer clothes.
Without GET: Where did you buy that nice jacket?
With GET: Where did you get that nice jacket?
2. ARRIVE - this one is always on time. He hates it when people are late
Without GET: What time did you arrive here?
With GET: What time did you get here?
3. BRING - this one is very lazy. He always asks other people to bring him things
Without GET: Can you bring me my laptop from the kitchen
With GET: Can you get me my laptop from the kitchen
4. UNDERSTAND - this one isn't the most intelligent
Without GET: I don't understand this film. Why is he going to Thailand?
With GET: I don't get this film. Why is he going to Thailand?
5. CATCH: this one is a great fisherman. He always catches something
Without GET: The police haven't caught the killer yet
With GET: The police haven't got the killer yet
6. TO HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY: this one is very ambition
Without GET: At our company you will have the opportunity to travel and develop your skills
With GET: At our company you will get to travel and develop your skills
7. RECEIVE this one is very popular. He gets lots of cards on valentines day
Without GET: We didn't receive your email yesterday, did you send it?
With GET: We didn't get your email yesterday, did you send it?
8. PERSUADE/MAKE SOMEONE DO SOMETHING:The most charming of them all
Without GET: We pursued our teacher to left us go earlier because we all worked so hard.
With GET: We got our teacher to left us go earlier because we all worked so hard.
9. Travel: this one has been to over 20 different countries
Without GET: How will you travel there?
With GET: How will you get there?
10. ORDER: this one loves to eat out and owns his own restaurant
Without: What did you order? The fish
With GET: What did you get? The fish
11.BECOME: this one is worried about his future. Without GET: I only went to McDonald's because I became hungry
With GET: I only went to McDonald's because I got hungry
12. REVENGE: this one is big and strong.
Without GET: I will beat him up for you , don't you worry!
With Get: I will get him for you, don't you worry!